Every so often, I am asked how I prepare my skin for special occasions so with the holiday season here, I decided to share my tips and tricks to achieving a great and lasting look.
Let’s get started!
Skincare Essential Tips
1) Exfoliate! One of the steps to achieve a smooth complexion is to exfoliate and a go-to favorite is Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment. In the shower after cleansing, I apply it to my face, wait 2 minutes while the enzymes and lactic acid remove dead skin cells and rinse away to reveal a rosy glow. (For a full review, click here.)
Lips can also use some exfoliating to remove flakiness and allow your lip color a smooth application. I like Fresh Sugar Lip Polish.
2) Moisturize! After exfoliating, it’s crucial to add in moisture to your skin. This step can also help prevent a cakey look. Choose a moisturizer that’s appropriate for your skin type. I use Dermalogica Active Moist when my combination skin feels more on the oily side as it’s light-weight and works well under makeup.
3) Use an Eye Cream! Adding hydration underneath your eyes will give a youthful look and can lessen the appearance of fine lines. A good eye cream I like is PCA Skin EyeXcellence.
Pre and Post Makeup Essentials
1) Face Primer! A face primer creates a barrier between your skin and makeup. It helps make your makeup last longer and depending on the formula you choose, it can minimize the look of pores and ‘fill in’ lines and wrinkles (silicone based). 100% Pure Luminous Primer Vitamins + Antioxidants with Resveratrol has a nice blend of green tea and vitamins C and E for added antioxidant support.
2) Eye Primer! Eye primer is a must to even out any discoloration you may have on your eyelids and keep eyeshadow from creasing/fading. My absolute favorite that I have used for years is Too Faced Shadow Insurance.
3) Lip Balm! Just as it’s key to moisturize your face, your lips also benefit from it too. Swipe on a little bit while you’re getting ready so it has a chance to set. Helpful tip: Mix it with your favorite lipstick to get a sheer look. I love Vintage Sister Lip Balms (featured here: Chai Tea).
4) Finish the look! (optional) To really help set everything, use a finishing/setting spray or a light dusting of powder. I alternate between Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder and Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray.
And there you have it. Whatever makeup colors/brands I choose depends on what I want to achieve, but these steps ensure a polished look.
What are your favorite products or tips for special occasions? Comment below!
Thanks for reading,